Topic-icon Brad Majors Costume Pieces

More
3 years 7 months ago #5720 by Ashleigh Simmons

Hello. I'm Ashleigh and I'm on the Long Beach Rocky Horror Cast.
[Formally known as Midnight Insanity].

I'm getting ready to play Brad Majors in the next few months.
I've been doing immense amounts of researching online for the four costume sets, and I've found a lot of stuff. But I'm still missing some things. If anyone would be willing to sell me their old Brad costume pieces that'd be fantastic!!

Here is a list of the stuff I still need;

Wedding/Proposal:
Engagement Box
Gold Cufflinks
Class Ring
Black leather watch (I bought one but maybe if I can find a better one.)

You can comment on this forum or message me on Facebook;
www.facebook.com/ashISepik

Much Obliged
-Ashleigh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #5723 by Mina

No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationThe classic Members Only jackets usually have funky collars with snaps and rib knit cuffs (very 80s)

This one has the right cuff style and front pockets - but the collar and yokes are wrong/missing.

This one has a better collar, but it's twice the price and no yokes.

More
3 years 7 months ago #5724 by Mina

Also, I might have a good ring box - I'll see if I can find it. I don't need it.

More
3 years 7 months ago #5727 by Ashleigh Simmons

Liz Stockton claims that there are Members Only Screen Accurate Jackets up in San Francisco. And I'm going up there in a few weeks for vacation so I'll check that out.

More
3 years 7 months ago #5728 by Mina

SWEET! You should stockpile and make a killing off them :)

More
3 years 7 months ago #5729 by Ashleigh Simmons

Definitely! But yeah. Still trying to find the other stuff.

More
3 years 7 months ago #5731 by Faffurter

Sorry if this is a really dense question, but when people refer to Brad's "Members Only jacket," are they literally meaning a certain vintage model of jacket once made by "Members Only"?

Or is this just a nickname the jacket acquired during the years?

The way I remember the "Members Only" jackets from the late '70s/early '80s was as a completely different jacket that had a "racer" collar (thin band collar with a strap to buckle it closed) and epaulets-- and the company label prominently attached on the left breast area. Like this one on this vintage jackets website:

www.rustyzipper.com/shop.cfm?viewpartnum...%2ERustyzipper%2Ecom

They had variants, but IIRC, they all had the epaulets and label.

Plus, if accounts I've read are correct, the company had just formed in 1975 and didn't really start selling in the US until closer to 1980. If this is accurate, it's doubtful that the jacket Sue Blane used was an early "Members Only" model, and certainly impossible for "Brad Majors" to have bought one in Denton in 1975 (or earlier).

The reason that I'm asking is that it seems like searching for "Members Only" jackets would be counterproductive. That style of jacket was ubiquitous in the '50s and '60s, even into the '70s, and probably a more SA vintage jacket could found by searching for "golf jacket" or "windbreaker".

(Although we called them "windbreakers" when I was growing up, that's also the name of a jacket by a specific company which isn't any more like Brad's than a "Members Only" racing jacket.)

Looking up men's clothing brands from the '50s and '60s would probably help as well.

(BTW, the site linked above has a bunch of fun. eye-gouging vintage clothing, including home-made/dressmaker items. Not sure if there's anything useful for RHPS/ST from a quick browse, but it might give some pieces for theme nights or Halloween.)

More
3 years 7 months ago #5732 by Alicorn

No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationIf you find a good one, please do let me know! Especially if it's really accurate, less than $50, and comes in men's small ;) I'd love to upgrade, I go eBay-trawling every so often but I haven't found anything significantly better than my $8 thrift store jacket yet. I figure if I'm going to go full-price, it might as well be pretty damn close to accurate, or I'll hate myself for having to spend it twice when I find something better a couple months later.

I got my watch from either Walmart or Target (can't remember now), it's pretty plain so it shouldn't be too hard to find something similar, unless your budget is super tight and you need to go cheaper than the $15-$20 a basic Walmart watch costs. Same with pants, shop around - that specific shade of grey is a little less common but not impossible!

Cufflinks, did a quick search and found a few different ones that aren't too pricey -

If you have any tips on a more screen-accurate wedding scene shirt, too, do share - mine's just a plain white shirt, I'd love to get something nicer.

Good luck :)

More
3 years 7 months ago #5735 by Ashleigh Simmons

@ Faffurter Fan:

The reason I call it a Members Only is because our main Brad on cast called it that, so I just stuck with that name. I don't know if that's because everyone else calls it a "Members Only" jacket or not.

@ Alicorn:

Like I had mentioned previously, I think there might be some up in San Fran, I'll have to look there when I go.
I'll look for the watch at either store, thank you.
And thank you for the cufflink links.
My shirt is just a button down mens shirt. Nothing fancy. I don't have the exact scene accuracy coat/pants either. I've been able to get away with what I have, which is good.

Thank you both.
-Ashleigh

More
5 months 1 week ago #12010 by Ruth F-W

Just out of curiosity, did you ever find a good ringbox?
Janets lose them and I haven't had much luck finding a nice one (I thought it would be easy in this day and age). Any tips would be welcome.

Thanks!