Eddie's Jacket (the Jacket part)

More
4 years 2 months ago #5654 by MostlyHrmlss
MostlyHrmlss replied the topic:
I already have the Lancer pins (one for the jacket, one for the helmet) and sherriff's badge, just need to find stars, studs, and chains. Fortunately there's a Tandy Leather store nearby, they can likely help find the right hardware.

Question: when putting on the stars and studs and sewing the BABY letters down, does one remove the original lining first? I'll be adding the cheetah fur lining later so aestheitically it really wouldn't matter, just wondering if it would make the job easier.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #5655 by Shawn Anthony
Shawn Anthony replied the topic:

MostlyHrmlss wrote: I already have the Lancer pins (one for the jacket, one for the helmet) and sherriff's badge, just need to find stars, studs, and chains. Fortunately there's a Tandy Leather store nearby, they can likely help find the right hardware.

Question: when putting on the stars and studs and sewing the BABY letters down, does one remove the original lining first? I'll be adding the cheetah fur lining later so aestheitically it really wouldn't matter, just wondering if it would make the job easier.

First off don't use pronged studs.. use rivets. Tandy won't have star rivets but will have round rivets that you will need. The chain will have to be found at Michaels (if you have those craft stores back there).

Yes remove the liner. Its easier to see what your doing with the jacket bits. Not to mention if its a slightly puffy liner it might make the jacket a little snugger than you'd like. The BABY letters are just glued down. They are actually peeling up slightly along some of the edges.

More
4 years 2 months ago #5656 by MostlyHrmlss
I see we are of like mind here...I don't trust prongs. I already bought a pack of 5/8" Tandy double cap rivets, should do for the front yoke. I'm pretty sure I'll need something longer for the chain rivets, something shorter for the jeans pocket rivets, but that's where the local store comes in handy: they'll put pieces in a test matierial for you to figure out just what you need.

I have seen star rivets on eBay of various sizes, what would you say is the right size for the (rear) yoke, and for the epaulets?

More
4 years 2 months ago #5657 by MostlyHrmlss
Regarding the letters, I'm planning to sew them down for durability, but leave a generous buffer around the edges so they can peel up a bit. Good idea?

More
4 years 2 months ago #5658 by Shawn Anthony

MostlyHrmlss wrote: I see we are of like mind here...I don't trust prongs. I already bought a pack of 5/8" Tandy double cap rivets, should do for the front yoke. I'm pretty sure I'll need something longer for the chain rivets, something shorter for the jeans pocket rivets, but that's where the local store comes in handy: they'll put pieces in a test matierial for you to figure out just what you need.

I have seen star rivets on eBay of various sizes, what would you say is the right size for the (rear) yoke, and for the epaulets?

The rivets for the the main brunt of the jacket are dome rivets but use what you feel most comfortable with. The small star rivets are like 5/8 inch or so (forgot measurements on mine) and the big ones are at least 1 1/2 inch or so. Usually works for a multitude of jacket sizes too.

More
4 years 2 months ago #5659 by Shawn Anthony

MostlyHrmlss wrote: Regarding the letters, I'm planning to sew them down for durability, but leave a generous buffer around the edges so they can peel up a bit. Good idea?

That works. Just make sure they don't look too blatantly like they are stitched down. Thread color matching is very important there.

More
4 years 2 months ago #5661 by That Type - Charlotte
That Type - Charlotte replied the topic:
Shawn, where were you able to find star rivets of that size? I hunted forever before finally relenting and just going with the Star pronged Star Studs. Will not as screen accurate or as strong, they do tend to hold up, with only slight fixes here and there.

Also for removing the lining of the jacket, I would say it would depend on how thick the original lining is. The jacket I got had a very thin lining, so I left it and it was super easy to sew in the cheetah print fabric. So, I would take that into consideration as well, because sewing through leather directly is a bitch.

More
4 years 2 months ago #5662 by That Type - Charlotte
That Type - Charlotte replied the topic:
Also, be careful about putting the lancer pin on the helmet. Since I through my helmet at every show, I opted not to put it on because it would eventually get smashed on the floor. My helmet has tons of scratches on it now, I can only imagine what the pin would look like.

More
4 years 1 month ago #5676 by MostlyHrmlss
I zoomed in on a shot of the front until the lancer pin was the same size as the one I have held up to the screen, then measured the star next to it. It was about an inch. I found some 25mm stud stars on eBay, will post a link later.

Shawn, do you have any of the big stars for the back? I'm having trouble finding them.

I also noticed that the studs on the front are domed. I somehow missed that you already told me that :)

More
4 years 1 month ago #5677 by MostlyHrmlss
Concerning the lancer pin on the helmet, I'm going to make a mold and resin cast a bunch of them so they'll be pretty much disposable. I was also hoping to recruit a crew member to catch the helmet to minimise damage :)