Topic-icon The Different Styles of Trixie

More
4 years 11 months ago #4250 by Wild and Untamed Frank

My sister plays Trixie in our cast (Ball U Rocky Crew) and her version is a modernization (of sorts) of the original stage usherette. The best way to describe her is a punk chick who got a job as an usherette for a rundown cinema that plays old B-rate movies. She carries the box with shitty provisions, condoms, candy cigarettes, whatever the Hell we chose to throw in there on a given night. She also has a flashlight. Her duties go beyond Science Fiction/Double Feature. She is also our MC (goes over the house rules, initiates virgins, etc.) and is, for the most part, in charge of the preshow. Our audiences love her. I think it's her spunk. She starts the show by verbally abusing people that she picks out of the crowd; she also mingles with them before the show.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #5122 by InvitedChaos

I just auditioned to be a screamer for a shadowcasting, and the director asked me if I would also take on the role of Trixie. She prefaced it by asking about my comfort level with stripping, so obviously it won't be a traditional Trixie, but after looking more into the role, I'd love to do a classy, classic striptease version. Can anyone point me in the direction of some good performances to study, SFDF or otherwise? I'm hoping she lets me have some creative control over the part, so I'd like to have some reference material or at least some ideas before we get into rehearsals. Feel free to message me if you don't want to clutter up this thread.

Thanks in advance!

More
4 years 4 months ago #5123 by Alicorn

The theater where we do Rocky also hosts really top-notch monthly burlesque shows, and I love them. I haven't seen a whole lot of Trixie stripping numbers, but I wasn't really a fan of the ones I've seen because they didn't reach what I envision as a good striptease after seeing professional burlesque dancers - which isn't that fair, since the vast majority of us aren't professionals, but there you go.

For me, there's a really fine line between looking sexy and confident, and looking like a trashy stripper, unfortunately. I recommend working out your routine and practicing it in front of a mirror and/or in front of some trusted friends - trusted to know what looks good and bad, and then trusted to critique you honestly! Well, okay, if your goal is trashy stripper, go for it - I'm just not a fan ;)

Definitely put some thought and effort into your costume. There's nothing more awkward than a woman trying to take off her clothes sexily, but the fastenings are too complicated to undo while staying in constant motion with a smile.

- here's a performance I would have cheered my butt off for (I just picked the first one I found with a slower pace, since you'd be doing it to SFDF. Coincidentally, though, her studio is right down the street from my apartment and I almost took a burlesque class with her - but I couldn't make it mesh with my work schedule). I love the tease before the strip, and the way she smiles at her audience. Costume used as a prop is a concept you could work with, too - the bit where she's playing with her floaty underskirt. Props are fun and add interest to the performance, but since you'd be segueing right into wedding scene with little time to pick up after yourself (and the song is pretty short as it is) you wouldn't want to mess around with a lot of stuff to keep track of.

Hope that helps...getting creative on Trixie is fun.

More
4 years 4 months ago #5124 by Mina

It's amazing how many choreographies will sync up really well with SFDF.

For example, you could do the Floorshow choreography (as a homage), starting with Columbia;

Michael Rennie (Boa up) was ill
The day the earth stood (hip) still (hip)
But he told (knee up) us (knee up)
Where (knee up) we stand (kick out)

And Flash Gordon (boa dip) was there (boa dip)
In Silver (step back) underwear (step back)
Claude Reins (shimmy-steps) was the invisible man (high kick)....

Also, Liza's choreography from Mein Herr (Cabaret) syncs up brilliantly.

And from there, you evolve things and make them your own, but some of those moves can set it up.

There may be some stuff on YouTube, but I haven't searched..

More
4 years 4 months ago #5125 by InvitedChaos

That IS a fantastic routine. I wish I was that flexible. Lol. Thanks for the tips!!

More
4 years 4 months ago #5126 by InvitedChaos

Wow, you weren't kidding about Mein Herr. That's so perfect! Especially since one of my favorite screamer lines is the "Ladies and gentlemen, for one night only: Miss Liza Minelli and Alfalfa Shadow singing 'Take Me Homo'!" :)